Saturday, January 19, 2008

Starbucks & No Money

Remember when I worked at Starbucks and I used to say I had no money? Well, turns out I didn't.

I just got my W-2 from them today, and from 2.7.07 - 10.2.07 I earned a grand total of $5,723.44.
Divide that by 8 months and you get $715.43 per month.  That doesn't even factor in that I didn't even have a job the first month I lived in Tucson.  So divide it by 9 months and you get about $635 per month.

Granted, I did pick up some odd jobs every now and then.  But at most I made $200 or $300 total from those. Oh, and I definitely made the most of my tax return this year. I think that was about $1,000 bucks now that I think about it.  That helped a lot.

So to be fair, add on about $1300 and I really brought home roughly $6,723.44.  Do the math and you get $747.05 per month for 9 months.  That's a little more resonable I suppose, but not really.

I don't think I'll ever have a good excuse to complain about being broke again.  I'll just think back to the Starbucks days when I truely had no money to spare.  So thank you to everyone who gave me a free dinner every now and then...apparently I needed it.

3 comments:

Bentley said...

I emember having the same feeling when I did taxes the year I worked at Starbucks. Plus I bought a few shares of stock that has consistently decreased in value since I left the company.

I do remember walking away with 80-100 bucks a week in tips though.

EMo said...

I hear ya on the Starbucks stock. I should have sold it and taken my $20 dollar profit right off the bat. Now I just have four shares of decreasing stock, haha.

Midstreambend said...

As they say, better late, than never: Just be glad you have a good job, and that you are not living in Michigan or you would have NOTHING. This place is going to the dogs! Seriously, though, it's nice you're no longer one of those slogging away at the bottom of the wage scale with no benefits and almost no pay.