Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Metric vs. Standard

So I was thinking about the metric system and the American "standard" or "traditional" system earlier today. Did you know that there are only three countries in the world that don't use the metric system? Liberia, Burma, and last but not least...the United States.

I actually kind of like the metric system, everything is nice and even:

10 mm = 1 cm
100 cm = 1 meter
1000 m = 1 km

1000 ml = 1 liter
1000 cc = 1 liter

1000 mg = 1 gram
1000 g = 1 kg

I think you get the picture. Likewise, you have the American "standard" system:

12 inches = 1 foot
3 feet = 1 yard
5280 ft = 1 mile
1760 yards = 1 mile

128 fl oz = 1 gallon

16 oz = 1 pound

I think you get that picture too. I just realized that the U.S. system is doubly confusing with weight and liquid measurements both being called "ounces". Where as the metric has it separated with "grams" and "liters". There's no confusing those two.

You would think us Americans would be math experts with all of that converting. Please, if you're an American, and you're a math expert, raise your hand...

...

That's what I thought.

Anyways...the only thing missing from the metric system is the equivalent to the "foot". I looked it up, and there actually is such a thing as a "metric foot" I see why they did it like that, but that way is too confusing. No wonder it never caught on. 30 cm for a metric foot? That's not even a multiple of 100 cm (1 meter). At least the French went for the "1/3 of a meter" approach. But even then, how do you measure exactly 1/3 of a meter? Good luck with that one.

I'm proposing a new, simple definition for the metric foot. Make it 25 cm. That way there is exactly 4 metric feet in a meter. To me that is much more logical, and usable, than what they currently define a metric foot as now.

I'll show how easy this new metric foot is to use. Instead of saying "It's 1.8 meters wide." (Which is equal to about 6 U.S. feet.) You would say, "It's 7 feet 5 cm."

Sure, for us Americans it sounds confusing as all get-out. But I bet to the rest of the world it makes a lot of sense. Also, you would only need to call it a "metric foot" in the U.S. It would be common place for the rest of the world.

Take note, the revolution has begun. The new, simple, logical, practical, "Metric Foot" started on 2/27/2008.

It makes perfect sense to me...1 cm, 1 foot, 1 meter...all multiples of 100. But maybe I'm just crazy, and the rest of the world doesn't mind jumping from 1 cm to 1 meter.

1 comment:

Ryan Moore said...

ron layman had a pretty persuasive argument for why non-metric is actually better in a lot of cases. I forget what the reasons were of course, but they were good coming from his rocket scientist self. You should ask him.