Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Post Super Bowl Conclusion

After letting the results of the Super Bowl set in for a couple of days, I've come to one conclusion...it was a giant let down (no pun intended).

Goes to show that I should have stuck to my past method of tuning in periodically, and then watching the end if it was close. This game was utterly boooorrriiiinnggggg for three quarters of the game, with the score being 7 - 3 going into the fourth. Not only was the game boring, but the commercials were completely lame too! What is going on here?!? Funny commercials used to be a guarantee. Anyways, back to my point...
What happened to the high powered Patriots? People will, and have argued, that NY's defense slowed them down, but there was something more to it. There had to be. In the fourth quarter they looked like that Patriots we saw all season long. They marched right down the field and scored a touchdown like it was no big deal. It's like the first three quarters they were just hanging out, with no sense of urgency, like it was a pickup game or something. I will never understand what they were doing for those first three quarters, it's like it was a different team.

Now yes, the fourth quarter was pretty exciting. And yes, you can argue it was great to see the underdog knock off the favorite; I'm almost always a fan of the underdog myself. However, I think this year was an exception to the underdog rule. There was a chance for perfection. More than that, a chance to make history. It's not like undefeated seasons happen all the time in the NFL, if they did then my argument would have no merit. But they don't. It's only happened once in the Super Bowl era, and that was 36 years ago. To understand how hard of a feat this is, since then, no team has even had the chance to finish unbeaten. Now as a sports fan, how can you not want to witness something like that? About the only legitimate excuses out there are if you are a DIE HARD Giants fan, or if you absolutely HATE the Patriots. I think it's fairly safe to say that not many people fall into one of those two categories.

I don't get it? Everyone is saying, "What a great win!" and "The best upset ever!". No, my friends, I must disagree. Not only the Patriots, but we as sports fans, have missed a chance to witness history. A chance that in all likelihood could possibly never happen again.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Giants and I'm not trying to take anything away from their championship. I take my hat off to them. But in the end the Giants were a very average team that put together a good run in the playoffs. BIG DEAL. That happens all the time. 2006 Steelers anyone? Who's gonna remember that team 50 years from now? They won the Super Bowl just two years ago and I can barely jog my memory.

The only reason this game will ever be remembered is by referencing the Patriots as the best team ever to not win the Super Bowl, which is extremely tragic.

2 comments:

Bentley said...

yeah it was a sleeper

and the Patriots blew it. I think the Patriots finally got cocky and thought they could win big without working for it.

EMo said...

Yeah I agree...they blew it. I was watching these guys on tv saying how the Giants did this and did that. Which sure, they played well obviously, but the Giants didn't win that game...the Patriots lost it.